Looking back, it was a pretty good year -- 4 5-star novels! -- but a lot of tiresome short fiction. Maybe I should stay out of the Hugo voting business.
Anne Leckie (4)
- Ancillary Justice 5 stars "A cleanly-written story that was a pleasure to read."
- Ancillary Sword 4 stars
- Night's Slow Poison 3 stars
- She Commands Me and I Obey 3 stars
Brandon Sanderson (3)
- Steelheart 5 stars "The characters are interesting, and while the prose doesn't always sparkle, it serves the needs of the book."
- Mitosis 2 stars "The story itself seemed like a lot of nothing"
- The Way of Kings 4 stars
Aliette de Bodard (2)
- The Waiting Stars 2 stars
- Shipbirth 2 stars "It's just not to my taste."
Steven Brust (2)
- Fireworks in the Rain 3 stars
- The Incrementalists 2 stars "I wanted the Incrementalists, but I feel like I got the Mentalists."
Lester del Rey (2)
- Helen O'Loy 2 stars "The story lacked any oomph, emotional or otherwise."
- The Faithful 4 stars "Sometimes an old story provides an unexpected delight."
Max Gladstone (2)
- Three Parts Dead 4 stars
- Two Serpents Rise 4 stars
Benjanun Sriduangkaew (2)
- Fade to Gold 2 stars
- The Bees Her Heart, The Hive Her Belly 3 stars "I didn't love it, but at times it brought a smile to my face."
Saladin Ahmed (1)
- Engraved on the Eye 3 stars
Louis Bates Ames (1)
- Your Four-Year-Old: Wild and Wonderful 3 stars "This is a very good book for giving you [an idea of] what is "normal" in a 4-year-old."
Ray Bradbury (1)
- Hellerbochen's Dilemma 1 star "It made no sense, and seemed to be Bradbury writing down a half-remembered dream."
Lois McMaster Bujold (1)
- Diplomatic Immunity 4 stars
Ted Chiang (1)
- The Truth of Fact, The Truth of Feeling 4 stars "The future story is really affecting, and the past story is thought-provoking."
John Chu (1)
- The Water that Falls on You from Nowhere 3 stars "It was a well-written story about a man trying to come out to his family."
Vox Day (1)
- Opera Vita Aeterna 2 stars "I found nothing egregious about the story, but it repeatedly put me to sleep. Literally."
L. Sprauge De Camp (1)
- Hyperpilosity 2 stars "It tried to be funny and clever, but fell flat."
Samuel R. Delaney (1)
- The Einstein Intersection 2 stars "The plot wasn't completely incomprehensible."
Andy Duncan (1)
- Wakulla Springs 4 stars "A well-written and enjoyable story."
Adele Faber (1)
- How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk 4 stars
Neil Gaiman (1)
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane 3 stars "Oh, that was nice enough."
Daniel Gray (1)
Thomas Olde Heuvelt (1)
- The Ink Readers of Doi Saket 2 stars
Iain Hyslop (1)
- Is the Baw Burst? Rangers Special: A Long Suffering Supporter Continues His Search for the Soul of Scottish Football 4 stars "I liked this book because it gave a real feel for what it is like to be a Scottish football fan more than anything else I've read."
Mary Robinette Kowal (1)
- The Lady Astronaut of Mars 3 stars "I kind of enjoyed it."
Ursula K. Le Guin (1)
- A Wizard of Earthsea 4 stars "It's pretty good."
Michael Lewis (1)
- Flash Boys 4 stars "A well-written and interesting book."
George R.R. Martin (1)
- The World of Ice & Fire: The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones 4 stars
Jack McDevitt (1)
- Coming Home 4 stars "Another very enjoyable entry in the Alex Benedict series."
Richard K. Morgan (1)
- Altered Carbon 3 stars "Well-written and compelling with interesting characters, but the level of remorseless violence turned me off."
Sofia Samatar (1)
- A Stranger in Olondria 3 stars
Veronica Schanoes (1)
- Burning Girls 3 stars "I found the story quite well-written but not compelling."
Kenneth Schneyer (1)
- Selected Program Notes from the Retrospective Exhibition of Theresa Rosenberg Latimer 3 stars "It was interesting, but it didn't click with me."
Lawrence M. Schoen (1)
- Trial of the Century 3 stars "I didn't laugh at the jokes, and I found the aliens too one-dimensional."
Ellen Shaw (1)
- Keep Kids Safe: A Parent's Guide to Child Safety
Allen Steele (1)
- V-S Day: A Novel of Alternate History 4 stars
Charles Stross (1)
Brad R. Torgerson (1)
- The Chaplain's Legacy 2 stars
Catherynne M. Valente (1)
- Six-Gun Snow White 2 stars
David Weber (1)
- On Basilisk Station 2 stars "A mix of interesting plotting and not-very-good writing."
Andy Weir (1)
- The Martian 5 stars
Dan Wells (1)
- The Butcher of Khardov 2 stars
Ben H. Winters (1)
- World of Trouble 5 stars